Try this classic victoria sponge - it's really easy to make and tastes delicious.
Victoria sponge with raspberry jam and buttercream
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
175g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175g self-raising flour, sifted
For the filling
85g butter, softened
175g icing sugar, sifted
Few drops vanilla extract
2 tbsp raspberry jam
Fresh raspberries (optional)
Icing sugar to dust
- Heat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with greaseproof paper. Click here to see how to do this.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until the mixture looks pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the beaten eggs, beating well between each addition, then fold in the flour.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Cool in the tins for two minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, beat the butter until creamy, then add the icing sugar in three lots, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Spread the flat side of one of the cold sponges with the jam, adding a few fresh raspberries too, if you like. Spread the flat side of the the other with the buttercream. Place one sponge on top of the other, filling innermost, and press down gently. Dust the top with extra icing sugar, if you like.