Pumpkin seed oil is made from roasted pumpkin seeds that are pressed to create a distinctive oil with a deep, nutty flavour. It makes a tangy dressing with a fabulous bright green colour for this warm main meal salad. You will find that what may seem to be a lot of dressing at first is soon absorbed into the sweet roasted squash, and will need to be gradually added as you eat.
Warm Pumpkin Salad
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes to 55 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes
- 1.4kg kabocha squash (about 1 small squash or a large wedge)
- 190g pack Waitrose British Smoked Rindless Streaky Bacon
- 150g pack green beans, trimmed and halved
- 4 tbsp Merchant Gourmet Austrian Roasted Pumpkin Seed Oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 100g Gorwydd Farm Caerphilly cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp Waitrose Salad Topping Pumpkin Seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half, scoop out and discard the seeds, then cut into wedges, about 5cm thick, and peel off the skin. Halve the wedges and blanch in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well, then transfer to a large, shallow baking dish. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover with foil and roast for 15 minutes.
- Cut the bacon rashers into quarters and place over the squash. Return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 25-30 minutes, or until the squash is tender and the bacon is crisp. Cook the beans in a pan of boiling water for about 3 minutes until just tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Whisk together the pumpkin seed oil, lemon zest and juice, sugar and seasoning in a small bowl or jug. Transfer the roasted squash and bacon to serving plates and scatter with the beans, cheese and pumpkin seeds. Spoon over some of the dressing. Pour the remaining dressing into a jug to add as needed. Serve this dish immediately with fresh crusty bread, such as Paysan Rustique.