Save to your scrapbook
Watercress, dill & potato croquettes
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 16 as a side
600g floury potatoes, peeled
and halved (peeled weight)
1 tbsp butter
4 salad onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 x100g packs watercress
20g pack dill, finely chopped
50g plain flour, seasoned
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, beaten
100g Cooks’ Ingredients Panko Breadcrumbs
1L groundnut oil
1. Place the potatoes in a pan of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until tender.
2. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle, then mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
3. Heat the butter in a large sauté pan, add the salad onions and garlic, and cook for a minute until softened. Add the watercress and cook for a further 2 minutes until wilted. Leave the mixture to cool before tipping into a clean tea towel and squeezing out all of the excess moisture. Chop with a sharp knife if it is too coarse.
4. Stir the watercress mixture into the mashed potato along with the chopped dill. Season well and leave to cool.
5. With wet hands, form the mixture into 16 walnut-sized balls, then dip them in the flour, then the egg and finally the panko crumbs. Chill for 30 minutes.
6. Pour the groundnut oil into a large, deep saucepan and heat to about 180°C. Fry the croquettes in batches until golden and crisp – about 4 minutes each batch. Drain on kitchen paper and serve.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in December 2015.