A colourful Mediterranean plate, bursting with salty, sweet and spicy flavours
Will Halsall’s grilled squid with crispy pancetta and red pepper salsa
8 thin slices pancetta (or streaky bacon)
400g squid, tubes and tentacles, cleaned
20ml sun ower oil
90ml extra virgin olive oil
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1⁄2 x 25g pack mint, leaves roughly chopped
1⁄2 x 28g pack coriander, leaves roughly chopped
1 lime, zest and juice
1. Start with the salsa. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the chilli, onion and pepper for 8-10 minutes, until soft but not browned. Take off the heat and stir in the sweet chilli sauce. Add the herbs and lime zest and juice, then season and set aside.
2. Using a heavy-based frying or griddle pan, cook the pancetta over a medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp; set aside on kitchen paper.
3. Cut each squid tube in half lengthways, open out and atten; halve again if large. Season the squid pieces and tentacles; brush with the oil. Cook over a high heat for 11⁄2 minutes on each side, until golden, but don’t overcook, or it’ll toughen. For best results, weigh the squid down with a heat-resistant object to keep it from curling.
4. To serve, spread the rocket on plates. Arrange the squid on top and dress with the salsa and pancetta.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings