50g Waitrose Soup Mix
1 tbsp olive oil
6 Echalion shallots, peeled and halved lengthways
500g pack Cooks' Ingredients Casserole Vegetables
500ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
100g self-raising flour
40g vegetable suet
3 tbsp chopped mixed herbs, such as fresh parsley, chives and basil
Winter veg stew with herby dumplings
1. Soak the soup mix in cold water over night as per pack instructions.
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and add the shallots. Cook until lightly browned then add the casserole vegetables. Fry over a high heat for about 5 minutes until golden. Add the stock, vinegar, thyme and seasoning, bring to the boil then stir in the soup mix. Cover and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the dumplings: sift the flour with plenty of seasoning, stir in the suet and herbs and bind to a firm dough with 4-5 tbsp cold water. With floured hands, roll into 12 balls.
4. Remove the casserole from the oven and stir well. Arrange the dumplings over the surface and return to the oven, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until the dumplings are puffed up and cooked through. Serve with creamy mashed potato.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 29 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Dec 14 15:39:00 GMT 2012.