Kids will love these cute little cupcakes. Make and decorate a day in advance and store in a cool place, rather than the fridge. Present them, in a single layer, in a shallow gift box.
Woolly sheep cupcakes
- For the cake
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To decorate
- 50g greek yoghurt
- 175g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- ½ x 130g pack black food colouring (from a four-colour pack of ready-to-roll icing)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line a 12-section tartlet tray with paper cake cases.
- Put the cake ingredients in a bowl and beat with a hand-held electric whisk until pale and creamy. Divide among the cake cases and bake for about 15-18 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. (You might have enough mixture to make about 4 extra cakes.)
- To decorate, beat the yogurt and icing sugar until smooth. Pack into one corner of a small, new plastic food bag and snip off the merest tip so the icing can be piped in a thin line. (Alternatively, use a piping bag.) Pipe squiggly lines all over the cupcakes.
- Using your fingers, dusted with icing sugar, mould the black icing into oval shapes and press gently onto the cakes. Shape little ears and push into the icing on either side. Pipe eyes using white icing and position little balls of black icing for the centres. Use a knife to mark a little mouth on each to finish.
- Preparation time: 45 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 15-18 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour to 1 hour 3 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 134 ratings
This recipe was first published in February 2009.