This orange-infused custard tastes wonderful with just about any warm pudding. Try it with a bread and butter or steamed pudding, too.
Zesty Orange Custard
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half lengthways
- ½ x 500ml carton Waitrose Unsweetened Soya Non Dairy Alternative to Milk
- Finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod and place in a small pan with the empty pod, soya milk and orange zest. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes to infuse. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and discard. Beat the egg yolks in a bowl with the sugar and cornflour. Gradually pour the milk mixture onto the egg yolks, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Return to the pan and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Serve warm with the clafoutis.