Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the shortbread
For the topping
Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar, to dust
You will also need a 8cm (3¼”) round cutter and 4 baking trays lined with parchment paper.
1. Cream the butter and Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar together in a bowl, then gradually add the flour, semolina or ground rice and salt, mix and then lightly bring the mixture together with your hand.
2. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface, knead lightly and then wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas 3.
4. Roll the shortbread dough out thinly to about 3mm (⅛”) on a lightly floured surface and stamp out rounds with the cutter, rerolling to get 24 circles. Place on the baking trays, leaving a space between each and sprinkle all over with the Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar.
5. Bake on the top and middle shelves of the oven for 15-16 minutes or until very pale golden, swapping the trays over halfway through. Cool a little then carefully lift off to a wire rack to cool completely. Arrange a shortbread on 8 plates.
6. Lightly whip the cream until starting to thicken, then add the elderflower cordial and whisk again until soft peaks form. Divide half of the cream between the shortbreads, spreading to the edges, scatter over half of the berries and then repeat with another layer. Finish with a final layer of shortbread then decorate the tops with raspberries, blueberries and redcurrants, lightly dust with the Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar and serve.
This recipe was first published in Tue Apr 30 20:58:00 BST 2013.