Save to your scrapbook
Cauliflower, chicory and chick pea salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Cauliflower loves spice and sweet-sharp flavours. Combined with chick peas and chicory, it makes a lively winter salad.
Serves: Serves 6 as a side
• 1 cauliflower
• pinch saffron (optional)
• 400g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
• 2 handfuls raisins
• 2 heads red chicory
• handful mint leaves
• 2 handfuls toasted blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 3 tsp caster sugar
• 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 150ml extra virgin olive oil
• 1 lemon, zest and ½ juice
• 2 red onions, finely sliced
1. Mix all of the dressing ingredients with a good grinding of pepper; set aside. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Separate the cauliflower into florets and add, with the saffron (if using), to the pan. Bring back to the boil, cook for 1 minute, then drain well; cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cauliflower, chick peas, raisins and dressing; leave to marinate for 30 minutes. Cut the chicory widthways into 1-2cm slices and add to the bowl, together with the mint leaves and hazelnuts. Toss together and serve.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 21 09:14:00 GMT 2016.