Save to your scrapbook
Celeriac and bacon potato cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
"This delicious galette is made with buttery potatoes and celeriac encasing smoky bacon and apple and a hint of nutmeg." Alice Hart
400g waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), peeled and thinly sliced
300g celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp sea salt
40g unsalted butter, melted
6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, thickly sliced
1 tsp grated fresh nutmeg
1 cox apple, peeled, cored and sliced into rings
1. Preheat the oven to 200°, gas mark 6. Put the potatoes and celeriac in two separate bowls, cover each with cold water and add half the salt to each.
2. Put 2 tsp butter in a 20cm ovenproof frying pan; gently fry the bacon, stirring often, for 5 minutes until crisp. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
3. Drain the vegetables and pat dry with kitchen paper. Layer half the potatoes in circles over the base of the frying pan, this will be the top, once turned out. Drizzle lightly with a little melted butter, season and scatter with a little nutmeg.
4. Top with half the celeriac slices, drizzle with a little more butter, season and scatter with a little more nutmeg. Next, layer up all the apple rings, the bacon and more butter. Layer over the rest of the celeriac, top with the remaining butter and nutmeg, then finish with the remaining potatoes.
5. Place the pan over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, to brown the base. Transfer to the oven and bake for 40 minutes, until the potatoes and celeriac are tender.
6. Hold a serving plate over the frying pan and, gripping with oven-gloved hands, flip over to turn out, replacing any dislodged potatoes slices.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Fri Jan 20 09:28:18 GMT 2012.