Save to your scrapbook
Classic coffee and walnut cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
175g essential Waitrose Salted Dairy Butter, at room temperature
175g golden caster sugar
3 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, beaten
2 tbsp cooled strong coffee
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g Waitrose Walnut Halves, 6 reserved for decoration and the rest roughly chopped
200g essential Waitrose Salted Dairy Butter, at room temperature
400g icing sugar
2 tbsp strong black coffee, cooled
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed cake tins.
2. Using an electric hand whisk, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs, then coffee, until well blended.
3. Sift over the flour and baking powder and gently fold into the mixture with the chopped walnuts. Divide between the 2 cake tins, level off the surface and bake for 20–25 minutes until just set. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, to make the frosting, beat the butter until soft and pale then gradually beat in the sugar followed by the coffee.
5. Spread the top of one cake with a third of the frosting then place the second cake on top. Smooth the remaining frosting around the sides and top of the cake. Decorate with the reserved walnut halves.
If you want to treat your mum but are short of time, pick up one of our Seriously Cakes — such as the delicious Roasted Rhubarb & Ginger Cake or buttery Victoria Sponge Sandwich.
Typical values per serving:
0.7g fibre 4.6g protein
This recipe was first published in Wed Mar 05 10:33:26 GMT 2014.