Save to your scrapbook
Contemporary Canine Cuisine - Pan-fried flaked salmon with rice & vegetables
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
As featured on Weekend Kitchen with Waitrose on Channel 4.
1 salmon fillet
150g brown rice
1 tbsp sunflower oil
500g butternut squash (Peeled & cubed according to dog’s jaw size e.g. 2cm x 2cm large & giant dogs, but 1cm small/medium breed dogs)
1 large parsnip (Scrubbed & chopped according to dog’s jaw size)
1 large aubergine (Washed&coarsely sliced)
Handful of thyme
Handful of roughly chopped parsley
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C (fan-assisted) including a non-stick oven tray. Toss all the vegetables in the sunflower oil and place on pre-heated tray in centre of oven. Sprinkle with thyme & bake.
2. Remove after 15 minutes and toss to ensure even cooking, before replacing back in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until the butternut squash is just tender. At this point remove all the vegetables from the oven and leave to cool.
3. In the meantime, sieve 150g brown rice and rinse under cold running water. Add to saucepan of boiling water, allow to return to the boil, then turn down heat and simmer covered for approximately 15 minutes or until just cooked.
4. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Mix thoroughly with the cooled vegetables, mashing the aubergine in the process and set to one side.
5. In a non-stick frying pan, place the salmon skin side down and pan-fry over a medium heat for approximately 10 minutes depending on thickness.
6. When cooked through, remove from the pan and pour any remaining fish juice over the rice and vegetable mixture. Roughly flake the cooked salmon and dice the crisply cooked skin.
7. Mix the flaked salmon and skin with the rice & vegetable mixture and sprinkle through chopped parsley. Serve once all ingredients are cooled to room temperature.
© Recipe copyright Vet Voice