Save to your scrapbook
Donna Hay's roasted baby carrots, onion jam & goat's cheese tarts
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
FOR THE PICKLED CARROTS
150ml white wine vinegar
1 tbsp clear honey
250g Waitrose Baby Topped Carrots, peeled and trimmed
FOR THE TARRAGON BASES
150g plain flour, sieved
75g finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
90g cold unsalted butter
1 medium British Blacktail Free Range Egg yolk
1-2 tsp milk
1 tbsp tarragon leaves
FOR THE ROASTED CARROTS
18-24 small Waitrose Baby Topped Carrots, peeled and trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp caster sugar
Salt and pepper
FOR THE ONION JAM
1½ tbsp olive oil
250g onions, halved and thinly sliced
60ml white wine vinegar
80g caster sugar
½ tsp sea salt flakes
Pinch cracked black pepper
150g soft goat’s cheese
Cooks’ Ingredients Greek Basil leaves, to garnish
1. For the pickled carrots, heat the vinegar, 190ml water and honey in a pan until simmering. Cool for 10 minutes, then pour over the carrots, refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Place the flour, Parmigiano Reggiano and butter in a food processor, and pulse until it turns to a breadcrumb consistency. Then add the yolk, milk and tarragon, and process until it turns into dough. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Roll out the dough to 3mm thick and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Cut 6 x 10cm rounds and prick with a fork. Place on 2 baking trays lined with baking parchment and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool on the tray for 2 minutes.
4. For the roasted carrots, toss together the carrots, oil, sugar and salt and pepper. Arrange on a large baking tray lined with baking parchment and roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
5. For the onion jam, heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until caramelised.
6. Stir in the vinegar with the sugar and salt. Cover and turn the heat to low and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with black pepper. Allow the mixture to cool.
7. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the cooled pickled carrots, leaving some of the green stalks on the carrots for colour.
8. To assemble and serve, generously spread each of the cooled pastry bases with about 25g goat’s cheese. Spoon a little onion jam into the centre, then top with 3-4 of the caramelised oven-roasted carrots, served with shavings of pickled carrot salad on the side. Finish with a scattering of small Greek basil leaves and sea salt flakes.
Typical values per serving: