Save to your scrapbook
Florida grapefruit salsa salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 2-3 as a main, 4 as a side
1 tsp fennel seeds
5 tbsp bulgar wheat
2 pink Florida grapefruits
1 ripe but firm avocado
1 small red onion
1 green chilli
1 clove garlic
28g pack fresh coriander
1. Cook the fennel seeds in a small, dry saucepan over a medium heat until fragrant — this will only take a few seconds — then turn the seeds out of the pan. Crush them lightly in a pestle and mortar or with a rolling pin and place them in a salad bowl.
2. Place the bulgar wheat in the pan with 200ml water. Bring to the boil, cover, and cook over a low heat for 7–8 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
3. Cut the pith and skin away from the grapefruits, then cut between the membranes and remove the fruit segments. Collect the juice, pour it into the salad bowl and add the warm bulgar wheat. Roughly chop the grapefruit and add it to the bowl.
4. Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. Run the handle of a teaspoon around between the flesh and the skin, turn the flesh onto a board and dice it finely. Dice the onion finely too.
5. Deseed the chilli, then chop it finely with the garlic and coriander. Add all the prepared ingredients to the salad bowl with about a half teaspoon of sea salt flakes and mix together. Leave for 10 minutes, toss again, check the seasoning, then serve.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 27 14:05:08 GMT 2013.