Save to your scrapbook
Gochujang chilli scallops in lettuce cups
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
20g Cooks’ Ingredients Gochujang Chilli Paste
3 tsp Chinese rice wine vinegar
3 tsp sesame oil
2 little gem lettuce hearts
4 salad onions, trimmed and finely sliced
¼ cucumber, peeled and seeds removed
Vegetable oil for deep frying
½ x 128g pack Cooks’ Ingredients Tempura Batter
90ml chilled sparkling water
175g pack Waitrose Raw Scallops
Sesame seeds, to serve
1. Whisk together the gochujang chilli paste in a bowl with the rice wine vinegar and sesame oil.
2. Take each little gem and peel off the 4 largest leaves and reserve. From the rest of the lettuce hearts, remove the stem, shred the remaining lettuce and put into a bowl along with the salad onion. Peel the cucumber and cut the flesh into small 1cm chunks. Add to the bowl with the shredded lettuce and salad onions.
3. Pour the gochujang dressing over the salad mixture and toss well to coat all the ingredients. Leave to marinate.
4. Heat about 12cm of oil in a deep pan
to 180°C. In a bowl, whisk together the tempura batter and the sparkling water until you get a smooth batter. Drop a few scallops at a time into the bowl to coat in the batter mixture, then deep fry for about 2 minutes until cooked through and the flesh is white (and the batter crisp and golden). Remove from the pan and place on a piece of kitchen roll to remove excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining scallops and batter until all have been fried.
5. When ready to serve, spoon the dressed, shredded salad into the 8 large reserved leaves, top with the fried scallops and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in April 2016.