Save to your scrapbook
Grapefruit gin and tonic cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
This centrepiece cake is a real treat and worth the effort for gin lovers!
150ml Williams Great British Extra Dry Gin
50ml pink grapefruit tonic
275g golden caster sugar
3 thin slices of red grapefruit, cut into halves
175g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
3 medium eggs
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 grapefruit, zest and juice
200g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4 and grease and line a 23cm cake tin with non-stick parchment.
2. Place a medium sized frying pan over a low heat and add 50ml of the gin with the grapefruit tonic. Stir in 100g of the golden caster sugar and heat until dissolved then add the grapefruit slices. Leave this over a low heat for 18-20 minutes until the grapefruit slices have become translucent.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl use electric beaters to beat together the butter and remaining sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time then sift in the flour and baking powder and stir to combine. Stir in the grapefruit zest and 30ml of gin. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown and baked through.
4. When the grapefruit slices are candied take them out of the syrup and place on a piece of non-stick parchment paper. Pour the leftover syrup from the pan into a jug, there should be about 75ml left, and top up with 50ml of gin.
5. Before you remove the cake from the tin and whilst it’s still hot, prick the cake all over with a skewer. Pour the grapefruit syrup all over the cake and leave to cool completely.
6. To make the icing, stir together the icing sugar, 20ml gin and 20ml of the fresh grapefruit juice.
7. When the cake is completely cool remove it from the tin and place on a serving plate. Spoon the icing over the top and smooth it over. Leave to set for a few minutes then top with the slices of candied grapefruit.
This recipe was first published in Wed Feb 28 13:49:34 GMT 2018.