Save to your scrapbook
Heston's warm lettuce, peas & beans salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Fresh broad beans and peas are the first sign that summer’s on its way. This classic dish is really simple to cook and is a perfect accompaniment for roast lamb, grilled fish or a barbecue
300g shelled broad beans
500g Heston from Waitrose Chicken Stock
200g brown butter
Salt and black pepper
2 Romaine lettuces
200g fresh podded peas
60g pickled onions, quartered
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the broad beans and cook for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under a cold tap and peel off their skins.
2. Put 80ml of the stock and brown butter into a small pan, and heat over a medium flame until the butter has melted. Then, using a hand blender, blitz the liquid until fully emulsified. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and put to one side. Cut the lettuces in half lengthways, then in half again, retaining the core to keep the leaves together while cooking.
3. Bring 1 litre water to the boil in a large pan with 1 tsp salt. Prepare a bowl of cold water for refreshing the lettuce after cooking. When the water is boiling, add the lettuce to the pan for 90 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into the cold water. Remove the lettuces from the water, drain on kitchen paper, then remove the core.
4. Place the remaining stock in a pan over a medium heat, and add the broad beans and peas. Simmer for around 5 minutes, or until soft. Drain the peas and beans, and discard the stock. Heat the stock-butter emulsion in a wide-bottomed frying pan, and add the lettuce leaves to the pan for about 1 minute, or until warmed through.
5. Add the peas, broad beans and pickled onions, and warm through. Season and serve warm.
Typical values per serving: