Save to your scrapbook
Heston’s ultimate cheeseburgers
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
"Tender beef burgers topped with amazing home-made cheese slices and served with charred gherkins and a zingy sauce, offer the perfect balance to create my ultimate cheeseburger." Heston
225g Waitrose Rich & Creamy Davidstow Cornish Cheddar No. 5, grated
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp English mustard
½ tsp dried yeast
1 tsp Marmite
125ml Duchy Originals From Waitrose Organic India Pale Ale
50g tomato ketchup
75g half-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp French’s Classic Yellow Mustard
4 Heston from Waitrose Ultimate Burgers
1 tbsp olive oil
4 gherkins, halved lengthways
4 essential Waitrose Seeded Burger Buns, halved and toasted
2 vine tomatoes, sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 Little Gem lettuce hearts, broken into leaves
1. To make the cheese slices, line a 2cm-deep, 20x30cm baking tin with baking parchment. Mix the cheese, Worcestershire sauce, English mustard, cornflour, yeast and Marmite. Place in the fridge for 2 hours.
2. Pour the ale into a pan, set over a medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Slowly add the cheese mixture, a handful at a time, stirring until all of the cheese has been incorporated. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and continue to whisk until smooth. Pour into the prepared tin and leave to cool to room temperature.
3. Once cool, cut into 6 squares. Cover with clingfilm and chill.
4. To make the sauce, place the ketchup, mayonnaise and yellow mustard in a bowl and mix together thoroughly. Set aside.
5. Rub each burger with a little oil and cook them on the barbecue or in a very hot pan, flipping every 15–20 seconds until cooked through. Immediately after the last flip, place a cheese slice on top of each burger and allow to melt for the final 15 seconds.
6. Place the gherkins, cut-side down, on the barbecue for about 90 seconds or until well charred.
7. To serve, place a burger topped with melted cheese on the bottom half of each bun. Add slices of tomato and onions, followed by lettuce leaves, 2 gherkin halves and a little sauce. Cover with the top half of the bun. Great served with a glass of the remaining ale.
Typical values per serving:
37.6g protein, 4.6g fibre
This recipe was first published in Tue Jul 30 14:28:00 BST 2013.