Save to your scrapbook
Izy Hossack's Apricot-Rye Crumb Bars
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 16 squares
8 very ripe apricots, quartered
50g granulated sugar
2 tbsp water
Base and topping:
120g rye flour
120g plain flour
60g granulated sugar
175g salted butter, cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking paper.
2. Combine the quartered apricots, 50g of sugar and water in a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes until syrupy and soft. Set aside.
3. Place both flours, 60g of sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Rub together with your finger tips until you get a soft dough. Leave a small, fist-sized lump of dough (around 100g) in the bowl. Take the remaining dough and crumble it into the lined baking tray then press down to form an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Add the oats to that little bit of dough you reserved earlier and mix together with your fingertips. Set aside.
5. Once the base has baked, spread the cooked apricots and all the syrup over it. Sprinkle over the oaty crumble and place back into the oven for another 25 minutes. Leave to cool then slice into squares and serve.
This recipe was created by Izy Hossack. Waitrose.com is happy to host a community of passionate foodies. However, unlike our own recipes which are double-tested, Waitrose have not checked or tested this recipe and cannot accept any liability for its content or method. If you use all or part of this recipe in any way, it is at your own risk. Thank you.
This recipe was first published in August 2016.