Save to your scrapbook
James Tanner's BBQ baked bean & chicken cassoulet
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 tbsp olive oil
8 boneless free-range chicken thighs, skin on
3 slices smoked bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 x 415g cans baked beans, drained
200g smoked sausage, sliced in 0.5cm thick slices
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 sprigs of thyme
50g brown sugar
250ml chicken stock
1 small red chilli, diced and deseeded
Crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and sear the chicken thighs for 1 minute both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Fry the bacon in the chicken oil for 2 minutes until crisp then add the onion, chilli powder and garlic and cook for 1 minute to soften.
4. Put all the remaining ingredients in a 3.5 litre casserole dish. Add the sautéed onion mixture and stir well to combine. Place the sealed chicken thighs on top, put the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 30 mintues.
5. Remove the chicken, stir the bean and sausage mixture and replace the chicken on top. Cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes off the heat before serving.
This recipe is taken from Old Favourites, New Twists by James Tanner (Kyle Books, 2013)
This recipe was first published in Tue Jun 25 09:36:57 BST 2013.