Save to your scrapbook
James Tanner's Sausage and cheese loaf
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 6 - 8
1 tablespoon olive oil
15g caster sugar
3 x 7g packets of dried yeast
1kg strong white flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
6 good quality British sausages
6 tablespoons onion relish
150g Cheddar cheese, grated
Leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
1. Pour the oil and milk into a small saucepan with 300ml water and the sugar and heat over a low heat until just warm. Remove from the heat, add the yeast and stir until dissolved.
2. Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl with the salt. Make a well in the centre and gradually add the liquid. Using your hands mix to form a soft dough. It may need a little more or less liquid. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. If it is sticky, mix in a little extra flour.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Return the dough to a floured mixing bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place to prove for 40 minutes (or at room temperature for 1 hour) until doubled in size.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan and sear the sausages until they are lightly browned on all sides. Remove the sausages from the pan and cut them into 2.5cm chunks.
6. Knock back the dough and form into a large rectangular shape around 5cm thick. Place the dough on the lined baking sheet. Using your fingers make deep indentations over the loaf. Fill some of the holes with the sausage pieces and others with onion relish and scatter over the cheese and rosemary.
7. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
8. Bake for 30–35 minutes until well risen and golden. Carefully remove from the sheet and check it is cooked by tapping the base, it should sound hollow. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
This recipe is taken from Old Favourites, New Twists by James Tanner (Kyle Books, 2013, £15.99)
Photography: Anders Schønnemann
This recipe was first published in July 2013.