Save to your scrapbook
Lisa Faulkner's Portuguese custard tarts
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Taken from Lisa Faulkner’s book ‘Recipes From My Mother For My Daughter’
Butter, for greasing
250ml double cream
Grated rind of one lemon
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cornflour
125g caster sugar
150g chilled ready-made puff pastry
Flour, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5 and grease 12-hole muffin tin.
1. Put the cream, milk and lemon rind in a saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the split vanilla pod into the saucepan and drop in the empty pod, too. Bring to a simmer, then take off the heat.
2. Whisk the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a mixing bowl until it comes together in a paste. Pass the milk mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the bowl of egg paste and mix together quickly and thoroughly.
3. Return it all to the saucepan and heat over a moderate heat until it thickens – do not let it boil.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface as thin as you can manage. Roll it up into a long sausage shape and cut it into 12 discs. Roll out each disc to about 9cm (3.5 inches) in diameter and press them into the holes of the muffin tin.
5. Prick the bases with a fork and fill with the custard mixture until just over halfway full. Bake in the preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes until browned on top.