Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's cherry Bakewell steamed pudding
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
All the well-loved flavours of a Bakewell tart in a comforting, sticky steamed pudding. The long cooking time intensifies the delicious almond flavour
Makes: 1 pudding Serves: 6
FOR THE SPONGE
150g butter, softened
150g light brown soft sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g ground almonds
60g pack dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
FOR THE ICING
75g icing sugar
Fresh cherries and flaked almonds, to decorate
1. Grease a 1 litre pudding basin with butter and line the base with a disc of baking parchment. Put a large square of foil on top of a square of baking parchment of the same size. Fold a pleat across the centre so the pudding can expand when it cooks and set to one side.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and almond extract using a handheld electric whisk until light and fluffy – this will take about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
3. Sieve the flour and baking powder into the mixture and beat again. Finally, add the ground almonds and dried sour cherries and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into the greased basin so it is about two thirds full, and smooth over the top.
4. Put the pleated foil and parchment square on top of the basin with the foil side up. Fold over the sides of the basin, then secure by tying string around the sides.
5. To cook, put a heatproof saucer in the base of a large, deep saucepan. Lower in the prepared pudding and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the basin. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours, topping up the water as necessary.
6. Lift the pudding out of the water and leave to stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a plate and removing the parchment circle. Mix the icing sugar with enough water to form a thick paste and drizzle over the top of the pudding before topping with a cherry and a sprinkle of flaked almonds.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Feb 02 09:05:00 GMT 2017.