Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison’s Pimm’s traybake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 12 - 16
200g butter, softened
300g caster sugar
3 large free range eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
300g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
For the topping:
125g granulated sugar
4 tbsp Pimm’s
Juice of ½ orange
150g strawberries, cubed
½ x 25g pack mint, chopped
½ orange, cut into segments
50g cucumber, cubed
170ml tub double cream, softly whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C, gas mark 3 and line an approximately 28 x 20cm traybake tin with baking parchment.
2. Place all the cake ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, and whisk for 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is really light and fluffy.
3. Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, until risen and golden brown on top.
4. Whilst the cake is baking, combine the granulated sugar with 3 tablespoons of Pimm’s and the juice of ½ an orange. Pour the mixture over the baked cake, spreading it across the whole top of the cake using the back of a spoon.
5. In a small bowl, stir together the strawberries, mint, orange and cucumber with the remaining tbsp of Pimms. Place on the table, along with the whipped cream.
6. Slice the cake into portions and serve as an easy summer dessert, topped with a dollop of cream and a sprinkle of Pimm’s-soaked fruit.
This recipe was first published in Thu Apr 19 09:57:00 BST 2018.