Save to your scrapbook
Mixed spiced Christmas robin biscuits
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 20 - 24
150g butter, softened
100g dark brown muscovado sugar
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg, beaten
1 tbsp maple syrup
300g plain flour
2 tsp mixed spice
140g pouch Dr Oetker Designer Icing White
12 essential Waitrose Glacé Cherries, halved
2 x 32g Cadbury Flake
1. In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and creamy. Add the egg and syrup, then sift in the flour and spice. Mix well to form a dough. Shape into a flat ball or disc, and then wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the dough, place between 2 sheets of clingfilm, and roll out to about 5mm thick. Using a Waitrose Robin Cookie Cutter cut out 20-24 shapes.
3. Place the biscuit shapes on the baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To decorate, soften the icing according to the pack instructions. Using a disposable piping bag with a small writing nozzle, pipe a little roundel of icing on each robin’s breast, then smooth with a small palette knife dipped in hot water. Stick half a glacé cherry on top, leaving a little of the white exposed. Then use a small dot of icing to fix a currant for the robin’s eye.
5. To make the wings, cut the Flake into 2-3cm-long pieces, then cut each length in half and half again (to make 12-16 sticks from each Flake). Use a dot of icing to secure a stick of Flake for the wing. Leave the icing to set before serving.
Typical values per serving:
Per biscuit (for 24)
This recipe was first published in November 2016.