Save to your scrapbook
Natural Kitchen Adventures - Twice baked sweet potatoes stuffed with spiced chickpeas
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Pomegranates add the perfect vibrant finishing touch to this warming comforting potato dish. Cumin, coriander and allspice are typical for this region – and all add an anti-inflammatory hit. Chickpeas are a great source of protein in this vegetarian supper.
2 sweet potatoes, rugby-ball shaped- roughly 300g each, scrubbed clean
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
¼ tsp allspice
380g carton of chickpeas (230g drained)
Juice of half a lemon.
Tbs coriander leaf, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
To serve: Tbs toasted chopped hazelnuts, a few pomegranate seeds, fresh coriander leaf
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 C
2. Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Place the potato flesh side down on a lined baking tray, and roast in the oven till soft, about 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile prepare the filling. Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion with a pinch of salt over a low heat until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for a minute, then add the spices. Allow them to toast for 30 seconds or so before adding the chickpeas. Stir well cook for a further couple of minutes then add the lemon and coriander leaf and remove from the heat.
4. When the potatoes are ready, remove them from the oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes or so, then scoop the flesh into a bowl, reserving the skins in one piece – you’ll need them in a minute! Mash the potato flesh then stir in the spiced chickpeas. Add black pepper, taste, and add ½ tsp salt if required.
5. Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins, heaping it up, and place back in the oven for 10 minutes to warm through and get slightly crisp.
6. Sprinkle the hazelnuts, pomegranate seeds and coriander on top to serve.
While all Waitrose recipes are tested extensively, we do not test any of the community recipes, so cannot verify the results or answer queries concerning them.
This recipe was first published in Tue Sep 22 12:54:10 BST 2015.