Save to your scrapbook
Martha's raspberry & coconut ice cupcakes
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 12 cakes
115g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
120ml coconut milk
100g raspberries, fresh or frozen
For the frosting:
135g unsalted butter, softened
275g icing sugar, sifted
50ml coconut milk
12 fresh raspberries, to decorate
3 tbsp desiccated coconut, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, using an electric hand whisk or freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
3. Add the vanilla extract and the eggs (one at a time), scraping the bowl down with a spatula after each addition. Don’t worry if the mixture looks curdled at this point – it should blend together after the flour is added.
4. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low speed,
add half the flour mixture, followed by all the coconut milk, then the remaining flour, mixing well between each addition until the mixture is smooth – about 2-3 minutes. It will be a very
5. Fold the raspberries in by hand, and then divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. The cakes should be springy to the touch and, when inserted into a cake, a metal skewer should come out clean. Leave to cool completely.
6. While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting. Using a hand-held electric whisk, beat the butter, icing sugar and coconut milk together until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. If the mixture is too runny, add a little more icing sugar.
7. Decorate the cold cakes using a palate knife. Put a tablespoon-sized dollop on the top of each cupcake, and then smooth down into the edges to form a cone shape. Use the rounded end of
the spatula to create a swirl at the top. Decorate with a fresh raspberry and a sprinkle of desiccated coconut.
Use an ice cream scoop to make sure all the cakes are exactly the same size.
© Martha Collison 2015
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Feb 10 14:14:00 GMT 2015.