Save to your scrapbook
Roast tarragon chicken
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 6 - 8
100g butter, softened
1 bulb garlic, halved horizontally, plus 1 clove garlic, crushed
20g pack tarragon, leaves only, finely chopped
2kg extra large whole chicken
400g pack echalion shallots, halved and peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
750g pack baby
250g asparagus, halved
1 large courgette, halved lengthways and sliced
1 tbsp plain flour
400ml chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the butter in a bowl with the crushed clove of garlic, half the tarragon and the finely grated zest from the lemon. Season. Beat together well. Rub all over the chicken.
2. Place the shallots in a medium roasting tin and sit the chicken on top. Cut the zested lemon into wedges and place these into the cavity of the chicken along with the halved bulb of garlic. Season. Cover with foil and roast for 50 minutes.
3. Remove the foil and add the new potatoes to the tin, cook for a further 1 hour until the potatoes are golden and tender, and the chicken is cooked through, the juices run clear and there is no pink meat. Remove from the oven, transfer the chicken to a carving board, remove the garlic from the cavity, then cover the chicken with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Add the asparagus and courgettes to the roasting tin, and toss well with the potatoes and onions. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until golden and tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl, toss through the remaining tarragon and keep warm.
5. Spoon any excess fat out of the roasting tin. Place the tin on the hob over a high heat and add the garlic from the chicken cavity. Sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of plain flour and stir well for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil, stirring and scraping all the meaty residue from the bottom of the tin and mashing with the roasted garlic. Let this bubble for a minute, then strain through a sieve and serve with the chicken and vegetables.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 23 09:50:00 GMT 2017.