Save to your scrapbook
Smoked fish, bacon & cauliflower cheese
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
750g smoked cod or haddock
5 tbsp milk
1 large cauliflower, cut into large florets, including the stalks
125g smoked streaky bacon, diced
1 large onion, chopped
2 x 350g tubs Waitrose Rich Four Cheese Sauce
100g Gruyère cheese, grated
40g butter, melted
40g fresh breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Put the fish into a frying pan (cutting it first to fit if necessary) with the milk. Cover with a lid or foil and cook over a medium heat for 6-7 minutes until the fish is just cooked. Transfer to a plate and leave to cool.
2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the cauliflower for 4-5 minutes until slightly softened, then drain. Rinse the pan and set aside.
3. Wipe out the frying pan. Add the bacon and onion, and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes until the bacon is crispy. Tip into a large, shallow, freezerproof baking dish. Discard the skin from the fish and add the fish to the dish, breaking it into chunky pieces. Spoon one of the tubs of cheese sauce on top, spreading it to the edges. Pile the cauliflower on top.
4. Tip the second tub of sauce into the rinsed saucepan and stir in half the cheese. Warm over a low heat until the sauce thins slightly. Spoon the sauce over the cauliflower and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
5. Combine the butter and breadcrumbs and spoon on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the crumbs are golden. Leave to cool.
Cook's tip: TO FREEZE Cover the dish with foil or a double layer of clingfilm. Label and freeze.
TO REHEAT Transfer the dish to the fridge the day before serving to defrost thoroughly. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Unwrap the dish and bake for about 45-50 minutes until piping hot throughout.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in November 2016.