Save to your scrapbook
Smoked trout pâté with soda bread
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
This simple, zesty pâté can be made a day in advance. It works beautifully with the wholesome, raisin-studded soda bread, any leftovers of which are delicious toasted and spread with salted butter the next day.
SMOKED TROUT PATE
• 450g smoked trout fillets
• 100g soured cream
• 1½ tsp horseradish sauce
• 1½ tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
• ½ lemon, zest and juice, plus extra zest for garnishing
• 1 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra for garnishing
OAT, CARAWAY AND RAISIN SODA BREAD
• 100g raisins
• 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
• 175g wholemeal flour
• 100g jumbo rolled oats
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 40g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
• 1 tbsp caraway seeds
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 284ml buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. To make the soda bread, soak the raisins in a bowl of water until ready to use. Dust a baking sheet with a little plain flour. Put the flours, oats, salt, bicarbonate of soda and butter in a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Tip the mixture into a bowl, stir through the caraway seeds, sugar and drained raisins, then make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, stirring until you have a soft dough. Knead lightly and bring together into a round. Place on the baking sheet. Dust the handle of a wooden spoon with a little more flour and use to make a cross on the top of the loaf. Bake for 40 minutes until risen and golden, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
3. For the pâté, put all the ingredients in a bowl and mash together with a fork until combined. Season and transfer into 6 individual dishes or one large serving dish. Cover with clingfilm and chill until ready to serve.
4 Remove the pâté from the fridge 15 minutes before serving and garnish with a little more dill and lemon zest. Serve with slices of the soda bread, and some radishes and cornichons, if liked.
Typical values per serving:
Per serving. More info: 28.6g protein, 5.4g fibre.