Save to your scrapbook
Spatchcock chicken with fennel, watercress & lemon salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 tbsp harissa paste
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 fennel bulb
30g queen olives, sliced
25g pack fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves picked
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. In a small bowl, mix together the harissa paste with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Using kitchen scissors, carefully remove the backbone of the chicken and discard. Turn the chicken over and flatten out.
2. Rub the harissa oil generously over the chicken. Place the chicken on a rack over a deep roasting tray. Thoroughly wash and clean all utensils and surfaces used to prepare the raw chicken, and wash your hands. Squeeze over the zest and juice of 1 lemon and sprinkle with sea salt.
3. Place the chicken in the hot oven to roast for 15 minutes, turning the heat down for the last 35 minutes to 180°C, gas mark 4 until the skin is crisp and golden and the juices run clear when pricked with a skewer.
4. To make the salad, finely slice the fennel and the remaining lemon with a mandolin or in a food processor with a slicing blade. If time allows, pop the fennel into ice cold water to crisp up. Pat the fennel dry and toss in a large bowl with the lemon slices, watercress, olives, parsley and remaining olive oil.
5. Season and dress with a drizzle of the chicken juices. Serve the salad with the chicken.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in May 2015.