Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the cake
100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
100ml single cream
100g dark brown soft sugar
100g golden syrup
2 large eggs
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1½ tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 knobs stem ginger in syrup, 1½ finely chopped and 1½ roughly chopped
For the ginger glaze
3 tbsp stem ginger syrup
3 tbsp ginger wine
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease a 21cm x 21cm cake tin and line with baking parchment. To make the cake, put the butter, cream, dark brown sugar, golden syrup and treacle in a saucepan and melt over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Pour this mixture into a bowl, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the flour, baking powder and spices until you have a smooth batter, then stir through the finely chopped stem ginger.
3. Tip into the cake tin and scatter over the roughly chopped stem ginger. Bake for 35–40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
4. If making the glaze, heat all the ingredients in a small saucepan with 4 tbsp water; simmer for 5 minutes, until reduced and syrupy. Prick holes all over the cake with a skewer or fork, then pour over the warm syrup.
5. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature in the tin set on a wire rack, slicing into squares to serve.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Mon Nov 03 22:36:14 GMT 2014.