Save to your scrapbook
Sticky roast gammon with fig and date relish recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 8 - 10
2.75kg Waitrose Christmas Unsmoked Boneless Gammon
250ml dry white wine
250ml hot Cooks’ Ingredients Vegetable Stock
1 red onion
1 tsp ground Bart Bristol Five Blend Pepper
FOR THE GLAZE
1 tsp whole cloves
3 tbsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
4 tbsp Billington’s Molasses Cane Sugar
FOR THE FIG & DATE RELISH
4 fresh figs, trimmed and roughly chopped
2 whole ripe pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
125g Medjool dates, stoned and roughly chopped
50g Billington’s Molasses Cane Sugar
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Calculate the cooking time for the gammon based on 55 minutes per kg plus 30 minutes. Place in a deep roasting tin, keeping the string on, then add the wine, hot stock, onion and peppercorns. Cover loosely with foil and place in the oven.
2. About 30 minutes before the end of cooking time, remove the gammon from the oven, discard the foil and transfer the meat to
a board. Pour the stock into a medium pan and set aside, then line the tin with baking parchment (this helps with the washing up as it stops the sugar in the glaze burning onto the tin).
3. Using a sharp knife, remove the string from the gammon and cut away the skin, leaving the fatty layer beneath intact. Score the fat diagonally, then stud each diamond with a clove. Smear the mustard over, pat on the sugar, then return the gammon to the lined tin (clove-studded side uppermost) and cook in the oven for the remaining 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, to make the relish, place the fruit, sugar and vinegar in a pan with half the reserved stock and an equal quantity of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer rapidly, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened to a jammy consistency. Place in a serving dish and allow to cool.
5. When the gammon is fully cooked, remove from the oven and place on a serving platter. Allow to stand for 15-20 minutes before serving with the relish.
Typical values per serving:
for 10 with leftovers
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 05 00:00:00 GMT 2015.