Save to your scrapbook
Strawberry syllabub with caramel shards
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
200g strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
50g caster sugar
125ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
100ml sparkling rosé
1. Slice the strawberries into a bowl. Sprinkle over the vanilla sugar and leave to soak for about 30 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Place a sheet of non-stick baking parchment on a baking tray.
2. Meanwhile, place the caster sugar in a small pan over a medium heat. Do not stir. Watch the sugar until the bottom layer has turned to liquid. Then reduce the heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved and is a light caramel colour. Pour onto the sheet of baking parchment and leave to cool and harden.
3. Place a spoonful of the strawberries in the bottom of 2 glasses. Then, using a small blender, blend the remaining strawberry mixture to a smooth purée. Sieve the strawberry purée to remove the pips then spoon a little over the strawberries in each glass.
4. Pour the cream into a bowl with the icing sugar and sparkling rosé then whisk until the cream forms soft peaks. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the remaining strawberry purée – but not completely. You want to create a rippled effect. Spoon the syllabub into both glasses.
5. Break the hard caramel into shards and arrange on top of the syllabub. Serve immediately.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in February 2015.