Save to your scrapbook
Stuffed onions with feta & yogurt
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
6 large onions
1½ tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp chilli flakes
250g pack Tilda Wholegrain Pilau Steamed Basmati Rice
400g can essential Waitrose
80g bag Waitrose Washed Spinach
100g feta cheese
100ml natural yogurt
½ x 20g pack fresh dill, torn
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Meanwhile, remove the skins from the onions and cut them in half, leaving their roots intact. Place in the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until soft, but still holding their shape.
2. Remove from the water and set aside to cool. Carefully remove the centre 4 layers from each of the onions, and finely chop, leaving about 4 layers of the outer flesh as a shell.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic, chopped onion and spices. Gently cook in the pan for 5 minutes until all is fragrant, golden and soft.
4. Stir in the rice, lentils and spinach, and cook until the spinach has wilted. Place the onion shells on a baking sheet, pile each with the rice filling – any excess can fall on to the sheet. Drizzle with the rest of the olive oil and cover with foil.
5. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, crumble over the feta, drizzle with yogurt, scatter with dill and serve.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu May 07 11:30:00 BST 2015.