Save to your scrapbook
Sweet & smoky short ribs with cucumber pickle
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 4 - 6
1 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic granules
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried oregano
4 packs Waitrose British Beef Short Ribs
2 Cooks’ Ingredients Ancho Chillies
1 Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Chilli
300ml espresso coffee
500ml beef stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
50g dark brown sugar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
FOR THE CUCUMBER PICKLE
2 Waitrose Duchy Organic Ridge Cucumbers, finely sliced
50ml white balsamic vinegar
1 echallion shallot, sliced finely
20g pack fresh dill, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2. Mix the smoked paprika, garlic granules, thyme and oregano together in a large bowl with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Add the beef ribs and rub all over. Soak the chillies in the coffee until soft (about 30 minutes) then remove from the coffee. Chop the chillies, discarding the stalks. Reserve the coffee.
2. Place the beef ribs in a large roasting tin and pour over the beef stock, reserved coffee, chillies, tomatoes, sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to coat the ribs.
3. Cover the baking tin tightly in foil and place in the oven to braise for 4 hours until tender.
4. Place the cucumbers in a bowl with the vinegar, shallots and dill, and leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
5. Serve the beef ribs warm, or for extra smoky flavour, leave the ribs to cool to room temperature before placing on a barbecue for 3 minutes each side to heat through. Then serve with the cucumber pickle on the side.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in June 2016.