Save to your scrapbook
Tempura cod & prawns with shoestring fries & tartare sauce
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
FOR THE TARTARE SAUCE
½ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, leaves chopped
½ x 20g pack tarragon, leaves chopped
Juice half a lemon
1 tbsp cornichons, finely chopped
1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
FOR THE FRIES
3 large floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper
FOR THE TEMPURA
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg yolk
100g self-raising flour
175-200ml ice-cold sparkling water
2 ice cubes
400g cod loin, cut into bite-sized chunks
12 raw tiger prawns, peeled, deveined, tails left on
Lemon wedges to serve
1. For the tartare sauce combine the mayonnaise, herbs and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl, stir in the cornichons and capers, and season to taste.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them into matchsticks. Rinse for 2-3 minutes under cold running water to remove the excess starch, then pat dry on kitchen paper.
3. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large wok to 160°C. Fry the potatoes in batches for 30 seconds until softened, then drain on kitchen paper.
4. Increase the oil temperature to 180°C. When the oil is ready, combine the egg yolk and flours in a bowl and gradually whisk in the sparkling water and ice cubes; the batter should be the consistency of whipping cream.
5. Dip the cod and prawns in the batter, shaking off any excess and fry in batches for 4-5 minutes, until pale golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and season with sea salt.
6. Remove any excess batter from the oil with a slotted spoon and cook the fries in batches for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and season with sea salt. Serve with the tartare sauce and lemon wedges.
Typical values per serving: