Save to your scrapbook
Fabulous Baker Brothers' Ultimate turkey melt
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the flatbreads (Makes around 12)
400g strong white flour
400g wholemeal flour
20g sea salt
7g sachet dried active yeast (or 20g fresh yeast)
400ml warm water
Olive oil for glazing
To assemble your melts
4 flatbreads (or other wraps)
100g bread sauce mixed with 100g Dijon mustard
400g picked roast turkey
200g mixed Christmas cheese (Stilton, Cheddar, Brie etc)
100g cranberry sauce
80g rashers of cooked streaky bacon
1. If you are using dried yeast, dissolve it in 20ml warm water for a couple of minutes. If you have a sourdough culture, add 100g for extra flavour and reduce the water to 350ml.
2. In a bowl, put the flours, salt, dissolved yeast and 400ml water and give them a good mix. As the dough comes together, turn it out onto a clean work surface and knead for 15 minutes until your dough is smooth and very elastic. Put the dough back in the bowl, cover and rest it for about an hour.
3. Portion the dough into 100g balls. On a floured work surface, roll the balls of dough out as flat as you can with a rolling pin, then brush each one with olive oil. (As this recipe makes about 12 flatbreads, you can freeze any extra. When needed, cook in the oven until blistered and toasted.)
4. Crank your oven up as hot as it'll go, ideally with a baking stone or heavy metal tray in there and bake one at a time for 2-3 minutes max. If your oven is hot enough, they'll blister up, char a bit and be absolutely delicious. Wrap in a clean tea towel to keep soft for rolling later. These are also the ideal breads to make on a BBQ - just heat a baking stone up on the grill and get baking.
5. Lay the flatbreads down and spread the mustard bread sauce on. Add the turkey, cheeses, cranberry sauce and bacon. Fold the wrap up nice and tight.
6. Gently fry in some butter for 3mins on each side or grill in a panini machine until crispy and melted.
This recipe was first published in Fri Nov 22 16:32:00 GMT 2013.