Save to your scrapbook
Venison burgers on rye bread
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
FOR THE VENISON BURGER
3 slices (about 1 cm thick) from a loaf of The Village Bakery organic Borodinsky rye bread with coriander
300g pack Waitrose New Zealand Diced Venison (or 300g venison steak, diced)
1 echalion shallot, finely chopped
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Egg yolk
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 ripe avocado
1 Jack Hawkins Tomato, sliced
Little gem lettuce leaves
1. For the caramelised onions, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and gently fry the onions until they are golden, add a splash of cold water and continue cooking over a gentle heat until golden and softened.
2. Meanwhile, place 1 slice of the rye bread in the food processor and blitz to form fine breadcrumbs, tip into a bowl and set aside. Place the diced venison into the food processor and blitz until it is finely chopped.
3. Return the breadcrumbs to the food processor with the finely chopped shallot and egg yolk. Mix until evenly combined.
4. Using damp hands divide the mixture in half and pat into 2 burgers.
5. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and gently fry for 6-7 minutes on each side or until the burger is cooked through and there is no pink meat.
6. Just before serving, toast the remaining 2 slices of rye bread, crush half an avocado over each, top with a slice of tomato, the venison burger, a lettuce leaf and the caramelised onions. Serve with sweet potato wedges if you want to make this into a more substantial meal.
Typical values per serving: