This week's breakfast recipe
National Chocolate Week - Chocolate & bacon waffles
2 medium eggs, separated
350ml whole milk
325g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
75g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
8 slices smoky bacon
100g bittersweet chocolate chips
A little freshly grated nutmeg
Fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Preheat your waffle iron and set the oven to 140°C, gas mark 1 to keep the waffles warm. Beat the egg yolks together and add the milk. Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and gradually whisk in the milk, working from the inside of the well out to prevent lumps forming. Whisk in the butter.
2. Whilst the batter is resting, preheat a frying pan and griddle the streaky bacon in it until crispy, about 3 – 5 minutes, turning half way through. Once cooked, allow the bacon to cook slightly, chop it into small pieces and fold through the mixture with the chocolate chips.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the mixture using a large metal spoon.
4. Spread about 2 tbsp of batter onto the lightly greased or non-stick waffle iron, leaving a ½ cm gap at the edges to allow for any spreading. Close and cook for about 5 minutes, until the waffles are golden and lift away from the grid pattern easily. Keep warm in the oven while you make the rest.
5. Serve the waffles warm with a side of strawberries drizzled with Hotel Chocolat cocoa balsamic.