Classic Carrot cake
Silvana Franco makes a classic carrot cake with a zesty frosting - a wonderful treat to enjoy with friends.
Recipe - Serves: 12
- 300g Waitrose Duchy Organic Carrots, peeled
- 100g piece fresh root ginger
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- Zest of 1 Waitrose Duchy Organic Orange, plus 3 tbsp juice
- 5 Waitrose Duchy Organic British Free Range Eggs, beaten
- 250g Waitrose Duchy Organic Self-raising Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 50g ground almonds
- 100g raisins
- 100g Waitrose Duchy Organic Walnuts, roughly chopped
- For the frosting
- 400g mascarpone
- 75g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm round, deep cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Coarsely grate the carrots and remove any excess moisture by patting between several layers of kitchen paper. Peel and finely grate the ginger into a small dish to catch all the juice. Squeeze the ginger against the side of the dish to release more juice. Reserve the juice, and put the grated ginger in a large bowl with the butter, sugar and orange zest. Beat with an electric hand whisk until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. (If the mixture curdles, beat in a little of the flour). Sift the flour, baking powder and allspice into the bowl. Add the almonds, grated carrots, raisins and 75g of the walnuts, and stir gently together until evenly combined.
- Spoon into the tin, level the surface and bake for about 1-1¼ hours until risen and golden. To test the cake is cooked, push a skewer into the centre - it should come out clean. If necessary, bake for a little longer. Remove the cooked cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, beat the mascarpone in a bowl. Add the ginger juice, orange juice and icing sugar, and beat until smooth. Using a palette knife, spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Scatter with the walnuts. Keep in a cool place until ready to serve at room temperature. Cover any leftover cake and store in the fridge.
Typical values per serving: