Deep-filled Bramley apple pie
Why not try our recipe for a delicious deep-filled Bramley apple pie? The perfect dessert for Autumn and Winter evenings.
Recipe - Serves: 6
- 500g pack Saxby's Fresh Ready-to-Use Shortcrust Pastry
- 700g Bramley apples, peeled and cored
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 50g sultanas
- 25g butter
- Caster sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a floured work surface using short, sharp strokes - give the pastry a quarter turn between each rolling. Line a 20cm deep pie dish with the rolled pastry, leaving any excess overhanging. Chill the pastry in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Thickly slice the apples into a bowl of cold water to which the lemon juice has been added - this will stop the apples turning brown. Mix together the lemon zest, sugar, flour and spice, and sprinkle a little onto the pastry in the dish.
- Drain the apples thoroughly and pat dry with kitchen paper. Cover the pastry base with half the apples, sprinkle with half the sultanas, and half the remaining sugar mixture. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and dot with butter. Brush the pastry edge with a little milk or water.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the pie. Seal the edges well and trim any excess with a sharp knife. Cut two slits in the top of the pie to allow the steam to escape, brush with milk and sprinkle with caster sugar. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Serve hot or cold with Waitrose Fresh Custard.
Typical values per serving: