Enjoy the smell of freshly baked bread at home with this delicious loaf, made with spelt flour for extra flavour
- 300g organic wholegrain spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200g strong white bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 7g instant dried yeast
- 1 tbsp essential Waitrose pure clear honey
- Combine the flours and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the yeast, honey and 325ml tepid water. Stir to a soft dough, then tip out on to a floured work surface. Knead, gently but firmly, for 8–10 minutes. At first the dough will seem too sticky, but if you keep it moving, it will soon become drier and more elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and put it in a floured bowl. Cover with a cloth and leave to rise for about 1 hour, until the dough is twice its original size.
- Preheat the oven to 220c, gas mark 7. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and push down on it firmly with your fist a couple of times. Roll it into a thick log shape, making the ends narrower than the centre. Place the loaf on a floured baking sheet, dust it with flour and leave to prove, covered with a clean tea towel for 30 minutes or until it feels soft and pillowy. Using a sharp knife, make 3–4 cuts along the middle.
- Spray the inside of the oven with a water spray to create some steam and put the bread in immediately. Bake the loaf for 40–45 minutes until it has turned golden and the underside sounds hollow when tapped.
Typical values per serving: