Strawberry drizzle cake
Silvana Franco shows you how to whip up this delicious cake, made with the finest British strawberries, for a sweet summertime treat.
Recipe - Serves: 12
100g essential Waitrose Salted Dairy Butter, at room temperature
200g Waitrose Golden Granulated Sugar, plus 2 tbsp for sprinkling
1 large British Free Range Egg
120ml essential Waitrose Semi-Skimmed Milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g essential Waitrose Self-raising Flour
600g essential Waitrose Strawberries, halved
50g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Grease and base-line a 23cm spring-form cake tin with parchment paper.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy then add the egg and milk and whisk again. Beat in the vanilla and flour then spoon into the prepared tin. Set aside 6 of the halved strawberries and arrange the remainder, cut-side down, on top of the cake. Sprinkle over the reserved 2 tbsp granulated sugar. Bake for 50–55 minutes until golden and set.
3. Meanwhile, chop the reserved strawberries, sprinkle with 1 tsp of the icing sugar then set aside for 15 minutes. Press through a fine sieve to extract the strawberry juice.
4. Leave the cake to rest in the tin for 5 minutes, then lift out and cool on a wire rack.
5. Mix together 1 tbsp of the strawberry juice and the rest of the icing sugar until smooth and thick. Drizzle over the cake and leave for a few minutes to set. Slice and serve with softly whipped cream.
Typical values per serving:
3.4g protein, 1.1g fibre