Silvana Franco makes deliciously simple shortbread.
Recipe - Makes: 8-12 pieces
- 300g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 100g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 350g plain flour
- 50g ground rice
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2. Butter a 20-25cm round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Sift in both flours and the salt and mix in with your hands until it comes together and no flour can be seen (this takes a few minutes). Transfer the mixture to the tin, pressing down with the back of a spoon until smooth and even. Mark into pieces using a sharp knife, but don't cut through. Prick the top with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes - the shortbread should be barely coloured. Turn out and cool completely before cutting into pieces.