Parky's Top Table - Angela Hartnett's Chicken Milanese
Angela Hartnett shows Sir Michael Parkinson how to make one of her favourite dishes - chicken Milanese.
Recipe - Serves: 4
For the potatoes:
1kg Maris piper potatoes, peeled and diced
4tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 sprigs rosemary, torn up
For the chicken Milanese:
4 chicken breasts, small fillet removed and battened flat
200g plain flour, seasoned
2-3 medium free range eggs, beaten
300g stale breadcrumbs
2tbsp unsalted butter
2tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
For the salsa verde:
Handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
2tbsp capers, roughly chopped
4 anchovies, finely chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
6tbsp olive oil
For the watercress & rocket salad
1tbsp white wine vinegar
3tbsp olive oil
2 handfuls of watercress
2 handfuls of rocket
75g Parmesan cheese, peeled into shavings
To make the garlic & rosemary potatoes:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Heat a large frying pan and add the butter and oil. When hot add the diced potatoes, cook for a couple of minutes and then add the garlic and rosemary.
2. Toss the potatoes in the garlic and rosemary and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
To make the chicken Milanese:
3. Place the battened out chicken in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs and set aside.
4. Heat a large frying pan and add the butter and oil. When hot add the chicken and cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. Towards the end of the cooking time, spoon the butter over the cooked chicken.
To make the salsa verde:
5. Mix together all the ingredients and set aside.
To make the watercress & rocket salad:
6. Whisk the white wine vinegar and oil together in a small bowl, then season.
7. Put the watercress and rocket into a salad serving bowl, mix together and pour over the dressing just before serving.
8. Place the chicken on the plate alongside the salsa verde, garlic and rosemary potatoes and watercress and rocket salad, and add the Parmesan shavings.