Stained glass window cookies
Silvana Franco shows you how to use crushed boiled sweets to make the pretty 'windows' in these clever cookies.
Recipe - Makes: 24 biscuits
150g butter, cubed
100g dark soft brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
300g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1½ tsp baking powder
1 large egg, beaten
20 red and green boiled sweets, crushed separately
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line 2 large baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- Whiz the butter, sugar, spices and a pinch of salt together briefly to blend, add the flour and baking powder, and pulse until the dough resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the egg - the dough should just come together.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 5mm. Use pastry cutters to make 24 biscuits, then use smaller cutters to remove a 'window' in the middle of each one.
- Transfer the biscuits to the baking sheets and carefully fill each hole with a pile of either colour of crushed boiled sweets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then release the biscuits from the paper and cool completely on wire racks.
Typical values per serving: