The Happy Pear's Christmas nut-loaf muffins
Dave and Steve prepare a wonderful vegan main course to take centre stage in a meat-free Christmas dinner, served with sweet roasted winter root veg
Recipe - Makes: 12
2 onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled
150g mushrooms, chopped
1 carrot, chopped into small dice
400g can lentils, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp ground flaxseed
3 tsp tamari soy sauce
30g dried cranberries
30g baby spinach leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
2. Start by making your couscous. Place it in a bowl and pour boiling water over so it just covers the top of it, then cover with a plate. Leave to sit and puff up for 5 minutes. To make them gluten free, just use 200g cooked quinoa instead.
3. Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrot to a food processor and blend for about 15-30 seconds until roughly chopped.
4. Add all remaining ingredients, except the couscous and spinach leaves, to the food processor and blend again until reasonably smooth (you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl to continue blending).
5. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl and add the cooked couscous and the spinach. Stir all the ingredients together, season to taste, then spoon your mixture into the muffin cases and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
6. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes before serving with cranberry sauce and some sweet roasted winter root veg. Enjoy!