The Happy Pear's vegan sweet potato and cranberry wreath
Dave and Steve show you how to make a vegan dish that's perfect for Christmas Day.
Recipe - Serves: 2 - 3
For the wreath:
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
4 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ x 20g pack thyme
15g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
1 x 320g sheet Jus-Rol puff pastry, thawed
5 tbsp cranberry sauce (homemade or ready-made)
For the cranberry sauce (makes 350ml – leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months):
200g fresh cranberries
160ml orange juice
2 tbsp chia seeds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add the veg to a medium mixing bowl, then add the oil and maple syrup and season. Remove the leaves from half the thyme and add, mixing well.
3. Spread the veg out on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, or until tender.
4. If you’re making your own cranberry sauce, add all the ingredients to a small pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens, then leave to cool.
5. Unroll the pastry and cut out a 22cm circle, then place the pastry on the lined baking sheet. Any excess pastry can be used to make pastry straws.
6. On the pastry circle, mark (but do not cut) an 11cm inner circle and, with a sharp knife, cut a cross into the centre of the pastry, leaving 4 equal wedges of pasty that are still attached to the main circle. Now make 4 more cuts to make a star, leaving 8 little equal sized wedges that are still attached to the main circle.
7. Spread the cranberry sauce around the main circle of pastry then top with the roasted veg.
8. Sprinkle the cashew nuts on top of the veg along with the remaining thyme leaves.
9. Bring one point of the centre star over the filling, as well as bringing the outer edge of pastry inwards. Press the two together and continue until you have a wreath. Brush the pastry with olive oil then bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.