Black Forest trifle
Combine trifle with Black Forest gateau, and you have the perfect Christmas dessert.
Recipe - Serves: 10 - 12
- 75g plain chocolate
- 500g tub custard
- 500g tub mascarpone
- 2 x 300ml cartons whipping cream
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 390g jar Opies Black Cherries with Kirsch
- 300g (1½ packs) Arden & Amici Chocolate Savoiardi Italian Sponge Fingers
- Break 50g of the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (do not allow the water to touch the bowl). When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and stir in the custard.
- In a separate bowl, whip the mascarpone and cream with the sugar and vanilla until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Drain the cherries in a sieve over a bowl, reserving the kirsch. Arrange a layer of sponge fingers in the base of a large trifle dish or glass bowl, spoon some kirsch over the top and scatter over some cherries. Spoon over a third of the cream mixture.
- Add another layer of sponge fingers, kirsch and cherries, then the chocolate custard mixture. Spoon over another third of the cream mixture.
- For the final layer, add the remaining sponge fingers and kirsch, scatter over the cherries and top with the cream mixture. Decorate with the remaining chocolate, grated. Chill until ready to serve.